It is great to see that more people realize the physical and emotional benefits of massage, and more studies are proving this to be true. It’s increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations. Besides relaxing the muscles of the body, it can be used to increase joint range of motion, reduce anxiety, reduce stress, train your body how to relax, improve circulation, lower blood pressure, and improve posture. Massage can also help the body pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs to recover from injuries.
With each chiropractic treatment, you’ll receive a pre-adjustment massage by our Licensed Massage Therapist, Mary Ann Fehrenbacker (or by Dr. DeWitt if Mary Ann is off). She spends a few minutes on each client doing a routine of Trigger Point Massage. This massage focuses on areas of tight muscles fibers and is specifically designed to alleviate the source of the pain through cycles of isolated pressure and release. Relaxing the muscles can help the chiropractic adjustment of the vertebraes be smoother and easier.
You can also schedule separate sessions with Mary Ann that are massage only. You can schedule for 1 hour or 1/2 appointments. She offers the following types of massages:
- Swedish Massage – A gentle form of massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping to help relax and energize you.
- Deep Massage – A slower, more-forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help with muscle damage from injuries.
- Sports Massage – Similar to Swedish massage, but it’s geared toward people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
- Trigger Point Massage – This massage focuses on areas of tight muscles fibers and is specifically designed to alleviate the source of the pain through cycles of isolated pressure and release.
- Reflexology – Application of appropriate pressure to specific points and areas on the feet, hands, or ears. These areas and reflex points correspond to different body organs and systems, and pressing them has a beneficial effect on the organs and person’s general health
- Prenatal Massage – This is great for expecting mothers. While lying on your side, the massage therapist can massage the back region. Research has shown that women who receive massage while pregnant may have easier deliveries, a reduced chance of post-partum depression, and regain their bodies more quickly. Prenatal massage can help the mother-to-be relieve general body aches, pains, and tension that her body is going through while also feeling pampered at the same time.